Shaun the Sheep, aka the man who put the plod in plodding has gone to the media with an amazingly critical assessment of the South Yorkshire Police Force. You can either read today’s Yorkshire Post (http://goo.gl/e5xTDf) or accept my paraphrasing of his comments as being:
‘Despite my giving them loads of dosh SYP are rubbish. ‘
This kind of comment by someone of his seniority is unusual as one can imagine the impact on his relationship with police officers, morale within the force & public confidence.
You simply don’t do this unless feeling that you’re in the last chance saloon. It is a desperate act.
So I was wondering why? And I remembered the dreadful 2009 Ofsted report, how Shaun left his post a few weeks before its publication and left his replacement to carry the can. And how most don’t realise that investigative reports in the public sector are normally presented to the organisation a few weeks before they go public, when Shaun deserted the sinking ship he probably had advance notification that the Ofsted report was dreadful.
So I have some predictions:
1. The HMIC review of the SYP processes & structures currently in place to investigate Child Sex Exploitation is due out any day now & will be critical. Saying they are well behind best practice.
2. The Sheep has already started the process of distancing himself from the Chief Constable with today’s media coverage.
3. Given that this time he can’t pass the buck on to another Councillor he will seeking a scape goat instead. This may well be the Chief Constable.
4. Look for tremendous tension as war breaks out between senior Police officers & Shaun as he fights to hang on to his £80,000 sinecure.
5. Expect this shower to still be leaving vulnerable children unprotected.
All this is also interesting for the electorate and the Council’s position that child protection services have been great since 2009. They have a responsibility for child care wherein it isn’t good enough to just say “we trusted the Police.” They have the resources & the responsibility to take the Police to task & fight for a better service.
Instead all we have heard from them are statements of support for SYP.
Watch this space.