The main changes include:
- The application and vetting process will see drivers have to successfully complete a BTEC Level 2 Certificate that will ensure drivers understand a wide or matters including customer care, disability awareness, and matters relating to adult and child safeguarding.
- A new tougher communication and knowledge test
- Applicants from abroad will face more rigorous tests to prove their previous good character
- More rigorous standards will be applied to the consideration of past criminality, particularly concerning sexual activity, violence, children, vulnerable adults, dishonesty or drug dealing. Anyone who is believed to have committed the most serious violent or sexual offences will be prevented from working as a taxi driver
- Updated vehicle standards will see specific age restrictions for taxis
- Revised standards for smaller limousines
From the BBC: Rotherham abuse scandal: Council plans new taxi rules