Rotherham grooming ring targeted teenagers over three decades, court told
Five men and two women face 51 counts of alleged sex crimes against 12 girls stretching back to 1987
Five men and two women targeted, sexualised and subjected teenage girls to degrading acts including prostitution and forced sex as part of a major grooming ring in Rotherham uncovered by police, a court has heard.
The seven defendants are facing 51 counts of alleged historical sex crimes stretching back almost 30 years against the girls, one under 14 years of age. In an 18-page indictment, the jury learned that the first alleged offence took place in 1987 with the remainder all taking place between 1990 and 2003.
Prosecutor Michelle Colborne, QC, said the seven targeted 12 girls, all local and some of them in care. “Some had unsettled home lives, had suffered previous ill treatment or abuse and some who were in local authority care when they were befriended by and subsequently groomed by the defendants,” she said, opening the case in Sheffield crown court.
Rotherham sex abuse trial: Teenage girls ‘targeted’
Teenage girls in Rotherham were “targeted” and “subjected to acts of a degrading and violent nature”, a jury has been told.
Five men and two women face more than 60 charges including rape and false imprisonment over a 10-year period.
Opening the case for the prosecution, Michelle Colborne QC told Sheffield Crown Court: “It is alleged that in differing ways they facilitated the sexual abuse of teenage girls.”
The seven defendants deny all charges.
Opening of Rotherham CSE trial delayed
THE Rotherham child sexual exploitation (CSE) scandal is due to finally be opened today after being delayed.
The jury was sworn in on Tuesday and the prosecution was due to open the case this morning at Sheffield Crown Court.
Those charges in full:
- Arshid Hussain, 40, of High Street, East Cowick, Goole, denies one count of conspiracy to rape, 11 indecent assaults, five rapes, one other serious sexual assault, one count of procuring a girl under 21 to have unlawful sex with another, one count of false imprisonment, two counts of procuring a woman under 21 to become a common prostitute, one count of attempting to procure a girl under 21 to have unlawful sexual intercourse, two counts of abducting a 15-year-old girl, one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, two counts of aiding and abetting rape and one of aiding and abetting another serious sexual assault.
- Qurban Ali, 53, of Clough Road, Masborough, Rotherham, denies one count each of indecent assault, rape, procuring a girl under 21 to have unlawful sexual intercourse with another and conspiracy to rape.
- Majid Bostan, 37, of Ledsham Road, Broom, Rotherham, denies one indecent assault.
- Sajid Bostan, 38, of Broom Avenue, Broom, Rotherham, denies three rapes, two counts of aiding and abetting rape, one indecent assault and one other serious sexual assault.
- Basharat Hussain, 39, of no fixed abode, denies one rape, five indecent assaults, one count of procuring a girl under 21 to have unlawful sexual intercourse with another, false imprisonment, three counts of indecency with a child, one count of procuring a woman under 21 to become a common prostitute, two assaults occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of making threats to kill.
- Karen MacGregor, 58, of Barnsley Road, Wath, South Yorkshire, and Rotherham, denies one count of conspiracy to procure a woman under 21 to become a common prostitute, false imprisonment and and two counts of conspiracy to rape.
- Shelley Davies, 40, of Wainwright Road, Kimberworth Park, Rotherham, denies one count of conspiracy to procure a woman under 21 to become a common prostitute, false imprisonment and conspiracy to rape.