VIDEO: Rotherham Council leader calls for trust despite past abuse failings
Rotherham Council has moved on from past failures and is committed to supporting victims of sexual abuse, its leader has said.
Coun Chris Read said the guilty verdicts in the abuse trial, in which several people were found guilty of a number of offences in Rotherham, were a ‘really important step forward’.
VIDEO: Rotherham police chief says ‘we’re sorry’ over Rotherham abuse
Rotherham’s top police officer has apologised to victims of sexual abuse in the town.
District commander chief superintendent Jason Harwin said mistakes had been made in dealing with reports of abuse, following guilty verdicts in the two-month abuse trial.
VIDEO: Reaction to conviction of Rotherham child sex grooming gang
Five people have this afternoon been found guilty at Sheffield Crown Court of a range of child sexual exploitation offences which took place in Rotherham.
Brothers Arshid and Basharat Hussain were found guilty of multiple rapes and indecent assaults of teenagers in the South Yorkshire town.
First Rotherham abuse prosecution since publication of Jay Report
The convictions of the Hussain brothers and their associates is the first successful prosecution of a grooming gang in Rotherham since the child sexual exploitation scandal engulfed the town 18 months ago.
Rotherham became a byword for the exploitation of teenage girls and the failure of police and social workers to stop it happening with the publication of the Jay Report in August 2014.
Child sex abuse trial: Police and council welcome guilty verdicts
DETECTIVES, councillors and politicians have welcomed the guilty verdicts passed on three men and two women for 45 child sex offences.
The jury in the Rotherham child sex abuse trial today returned guilty verdicts on five out of seven defendants after more than three days of deliberations.
Another defendant admitted ten offences before the trial, meaning six people are guilty of 55 offences against 15 young girls.
Det Chief Insp Martin Tate, of South Yorkshire Police, said the verdicts were “the first step in learning from mistakes in how the police deal with CSE”.
Pakistani community “must not bury our heads in the sand” over child sex abuse
MUSLIM community leader Mohammed Shafiq today hailed justice for the victims of the Rotherham child grooming gang and called for the Pakistani community to not “bury our heads in the sand” over abuse.
Four men — brothers Arshid Hussain (40), Basharat Hussain (38) and Bannaras Hussain (36), and Qurban Ali (53) — and two women — Karen MacGregor (58), of Wath, and Shelley Davies (40), will be sentenced for a total of 55 grooming and child sex offences on Friday.
Mr Shafiq, chief executive of the national Ramadhan Foundation, said that the criminals had brought shame “on their families, community and friends”.
‘Don’t bury heads in the sand over abuse’ says Muslim commentator after Rotherham verdicts
A Muslim commentator has warned British Pakistanis against ignoring grooming gangs that operate in their communities.
Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, was speaking after three men and two women were found guilty of a range of offences involving the sexual exploitation of teenage girls in Rotherham.
UKIP Jane Collins: “Still much more to do on abuse”
UKIP MEP Jane Collins this week welcomed the convictions of six defendants in the Rotherham child sex abuse trial this week but insisted: “There is still a way to go before victims get justice.”
Ms Collins, a 2015 general election candidate in Rotherham, said: “There are still many more perpetrators on the streets, who frankly should be behind bars.
“It is essential that the authorities are seen to be pursuing those who have committed these horrific crimes, not only for the survivors who are entitled to justice, but also to help rebuild public confidence.
Press release from Jane Collins Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire MEP
Jane Collins has said she is “pleased” at the conviction of six people on charges related to the Rotherham CSE scandal, but that “there is still a way to go before victims get justice.”
Ms Collins, who was a candidate in Rotherham during the 2015 general election, spoke out following the convictions of six defendants at Sheffield Crown Court today on charges related to the Rotherham abuse scandal, highlighted in Professor Jay’s 2014 report.
Ms Collins said, “While I am very pleased that this trial has resulted in convictions, there are still many more perpetrators on the streets, who frankly should be behind bars.”
“It is essential that the authorities are seen to be pursuing those who have committed these horrific crimes, not only for the survivors who are entitled to justice, but also to help rebuild public confidence.”
Ms Collins continued, “Having met a number of CSE survivors, I know that convictions are an important part of the healing process. I cannot imagine what it must be like for young people to see their abusers getting away with these awful crimes.
“I would also like to pay tribute to the victims whose bravery made these convictions possible and would encourage all those who suffered abuse to speak out to someone they trust.”
MP John Healey: “No hiding place” for child sex abusers
Wentworth and Dearne MP John Healey welcomed the convictions of three men and two men on 45 child sex offences today, saying: “It has taken 18 months since Alexis Jay exposed the extent of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham, but some of the worst offenders have now been brought to justice.
“There is no doubt the police did not properly investigate allegations in the past and these were totally unacceptable failings, as I’ve said from the start.
Full story: First Rotherham Trial at Sheffield Crown Court