British Islamic groups are undermining fight against terror by peddling ‘myths’ about Prevent campaign, says top Muslim lawyer
- Nazir Afzal said Cage and Prevent Watch were ‘distorting’ the truth about Prevent
- He slammed the Muslim Council of Britain for ‘not addressing’ radicalisation
- Mr Afzal recently stepped down from his post at the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners
The former chief crown prosecutor and the country’s most prominent Muslim lawyer has said British Islamic groups are undermining fight against terror by peddling ‘myths’ about the Prevent campaign.
Nazir Afzal has claimed an ‘industry’, of Muslim groups was spreading misinformation about the Prevent strategy, according to The Times.
The scheme was developed by the Home Office in 2003 as part of the Government’s CONTEST counter-terrorism strategy.
- Cage: https://cage.ngo/
- Prevent Watch: http://www.preventwatch.org/
- Mend: https://mend.org.uk/
- Muslim Council of Britain: http://www.mcb.org.uk/