The Crown Prosecution Service today outlined details of the ongoing prosecutions of six men following the events of April 15, 1989, which led to the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans at the Sheffield football ground.
It revealed that, if all the defendants all plead not guilty, three trials will take place.
David Duckenfield, police commander on the day, and Graham Mackrell, secretary of Sheffield Wednesday at the time, will be tried at the same time.
Hillsborough disaster police face three trials
Three separate trials are planned for the prosecution of the six men facing charges over the Hillsborough disaster, the Crown Prosecution Service says.
Former Ch Supt David Duckenfield will face 95 charges of manslaughter and five other senior figures are to be prosecuted over the 1989 disaster.
Mr Duckenfield was match commander at the FA Cup semi-final when 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush.
It has not yet been decided where the trials will take place, the Crown said
Three trials planned in Hillsborough disaster prosecutions of six men
Three separate trials are planned for the six men facing charges in connection with the Hillsborough disaster, the Crown Prosecution Service has announced.
The CPS issued an update on proceedings following its announcement last month that match commander David Duckenfield, 72, would face charges along with five others.
An application to lift a stay imposed after a prosecution of Duckenfield in 2000 will have to be approved by a High Court judge before the retired chief superintendent can appear in court charged with the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 of the 96 victims of the 1989 disaster.